Sunday, May 31, 2020

rocket man

I was raised on NASA.  My parents were friends with a couple whose brother in law was Don Peterson and my mother actually accompanied them to a launch one time.  Even as a kid. that's what I said I wanted to be.  I watched in terror as the crew of some ship went up in flames on a practice launch.  There were others over the years...mishaps.  It always amazes me to see a successful launch and docking like yesterday and today.  How I ended up in a lab is beyond me but there went the astronaut dreams.  Hey...I was a kid.  I wrote letters to them and was generally eat up with it.  

The girls and Oscar and I went to parking lot church today and I was surprised at how long Reaves lasted before we had to pull out early.  That was only because Oscar snapped at her and she went to howling.  It's the first time we have been to church as a family and one I won't forget.  After that we ate mexicans and played.  She was exhausted because she was out late last night watching her daddy's car race.  These folks are SO creative with worship.  We are celebrating the birth of the church known as Pentecost.  I am a little teary today and I don't know if the flames touched me or I'm just scared and tired.  Probably both.  What better time for the Spirit to work.

Patrick is taking me to the surgeon tomorrow to discuss the reversal.  I was so out of it last time I couldn't be scared, but this time I am.  I have been there done that so to speak and know what's coming my way.  I don't feel really strong but then I'm in much better shape that the January incident.  

My spirit is sagging, literally and not just because of that.  Seeing the world go to hell in a handbasket makes me incredibly sad.  Knowing that our commander in chief is stirring the pot on a lot of the issues that are knocking us apart scares me.  I don't know what it's gonna' take y'all?  Thoughts and prayers.  That is not enough.  Doing the next right thing is faith in action.  As we continue to get smacked down, people are standing up and making friends with "the other side."  There is tolerance and empthy in the making and a whole lot of white nationalism and politics making it worse.  And y'all who are looting and destroying?  I don't care what race you are.  Stop it dammit!  I do believe a lot of is sincere and that's enough for me.  I remember Ferguson and all the chaos that followed.  In Jackson yesterday there was a peaceful protest yesterday and the police actually brought some water for the crowds.  That's the spirit kids.  Mayor Scott Conger was a name on a billboard to me for many months but I must say he has done a magnificent job of being a leader.  Also, shout out to Adrian Montague who serves on the city council in Lauren's district. 

Look ahead and not behind.  Establish a new normal for you and your family.  And always, keep the faith ^j^




























No comments:

Post a Comment