Friday, May 8, 2020

out of the darkness

Our new normal seems to be bringing out both the best and worst of people.  But you know what?  For every gun totin' idiot you see fighting for the right to get COVID there are five who are giving extra kindness.  The folks at the chicken store have pretty much adopted me during the time that I haven't been able to walk.  They keep up with my progress and say hooray when I manage to walk in without a cane.  Yet they still carry my stuff to the car.  They adore polite customers and put up with a lot of BS from the rest. 

My friends Rick and Jimmy came by yesterday to bring some ground cloth for my raised bed.  I'm having a hard time getting it leveled so hopefully whomever hauls my compost will help with that.  Not being a carpenter, I don't have a level thingy but I can see the cracks around the bottom.  Finding a perfectly flat spot close so the water source may be tough in this yard.  

It rained (again) all night and is still wet and gloomy.  Low tonight is supposed to be in the 30s so I'm kind of glad I haven't planted yet.  My cousin in Lake county said that the hail storm demolished her 50 tomato plants the other night.  That would be the one that took down all the utility poles in Ridgely.  

There are small lakes surrounding the barn in the fields where corn was planted a week ago.  The peepers are loving it and sing a nice little chorus for me.  I have become acutely aware of how meat is processed and could easy be a vegetarian.  When I eat pork I think about squealing pigs on the kill floor and it makes me sick.  Same thing with chickens being strapped down and beheaded.  

I have a lot of balls in the air right now what with getting ready for Medicare and dealing with the Marketplace over an appeal plus figuring out medical bills four months post op.  Oddly enough, I'm not worried.  I have friends and friends of friends who will see me through it.  And that?  Comes from doing the next right thing.  

Y'all be blessed ^j^


1 comment:

  1. Faith is your strength, which we all see in you. You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete