Thursday, March 12, 2020

the containment

New Rochelle is now a "containment area" due to a large number of cases, most of which are traced back to one lawyer.  This is how Covid-19 can take off like fire on dry grass.  Simply put, it is a public health wildfire.  Most of what I hear from Trump supporters is how many people have died from the flu vs this particular coronavirus.  That is like comparing apples to oranges.  His attempt to calm the country in a speech was confusing and not helpful.  Are we surprised?  Ummm. No.  

I got out for a bit this morning to run an errand or two, trying to beat the thunderstorms that are across the river and heading this way.  I keep thinking about what a sitting duck I am on top of this hill during tornado season.  In my 31 years here we've only had one close call when a twister barely missed us and hit the golf course instead, among other places.  Lauren and I took out in the darkness of that aftermath and the path was blocked everywhere we turned in town.  It was probably stupid not to shelter in place but we were terrified.  I remember trying to open the back door after I got a call from my weather man brother in Memphis and I couldn't open it.  Bad sign.  I sincerely hope that Nashville is spared from another hit.  

Other than that, I've got nothing.  My healing continues and the weeks pass as I anticipate another surgery this summer to reverse what was done.  I am not at all excited about that but it is what it is.  Either have the surgery or live with a bag forever.  I am told it's not nearly as bad as what I've been through.  Nevertheless, it is major surgery.  Again.

I still play "what if" with the whole thing.  What if that ER doc had ordered a CT when I showed up in the middle of the night?  What if I had followed my friend's advice and had a CT earlier.  What if.  I'm just grateful to be alive because it was a very serious situation.  Lauren was totally freaked out as were many of my tribe.  When I woke up in ICU and saw not one but two preachers at bedside, I knew things were not good.

I have never been entubated prior to that experience and it was horrifying to wake up and not be able to communicate.  I've seen it many times in my hospital career but it's different when it's YOU.  It gives me a lot more empathy for those who end up on a vent long term.  I was on 5L of oxygen that was weaned down over the span of a week.  The surgeon said my recovery was nothing less than miraculous.  

Y'all keep an eye on the weather and keep the faith ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment