Wednesday, March 18, 2020

some people

I just went to the store for my daily run and was behind a guy who spent over fifty bucks on lottery.  When I said something to the clerk about it, she remarked that it was the third time today he had done that.  As I got in my car I saw him steady scratching off in his truck.  I seriously don't get it.   I've never been a gambler and that kind of money is not in my budget.  I am still waiting to hear the verdict on my appeal to the marketplace over  1300 bucks which my brother paid while I was hospitalized.  Of course I still owe a lot of other providers which I will deal with when the dust settles.  My hospital bill at Baptist was 138,000 for a seven day stay vs 6000 for the initial ER visit locally.  Lerd.

And the rain continues at a depressingly steady rate.  I can't remember the last time the sun was out around these parts.  My yard is a giant mudhole and the driveway is too.  The ditches have been cleaned out to where the water doesn't stand at the end of the lane but it's everywhere else.  Looks like a late planting season.  At least it's not cold or this could all be ice.  

I have an FNP appointment tomorrow and one with the Memphis surgeon in May to discuss reversing the colostomy, probably in June or July.  My ride or die friend Gigi will be taking me in May because she knows the location like the back of her hand.  Of course by then we may all be on lockdown.  The US/Canada border is now closed to all but "essential" traffic.  I wonder if that includes people who work in one country and commute from the other one.  Trump says it will not affect trade.  And West Virginia is finally on the COVID map making it unamimous that we have cases in all 50 states.  

This is a time when I am grateful not to be on the front lines of healthcare like I was for 41 years.  Working in a hospital setting is stressful even under normal circumstances and these days are far from normal.  There are not enough ventilators or ICU beds in our country.  Our testing was delayed by at least a month.  That is why the numbers are going up now.  To say that we are not prepared is an understatement.

I have the luxury of staying home but most do not and I appreciate all those who are getting the job done during these trying times.  The airline industry is asking for a bailout after they did a massive stock buyback.  Fortunately the powers that be are grilling them big time and slapping their hands for being greedy.  From what I understand their laid off employees will not be paid.  What a disgrace.

That, my friends, is all I've got today.  Just a general mishmash of rambling about every little thing which is what I do best.  Y'all keep the faith and carry on ^j^


No comments:

Post a Comment