Friday, June 19, 2020

faith without works

I was out and about for my client this morning and did a bit of meandering.  I had noticed that my front tire was low so I stopped at a self service air thingy which I couldn't get to work plus I almost passed out from trying to get it to work.  I took a detour through Southtown back to Tucker Tire and pulled into a lot packed full.  As I was waiting my turn, an elderly black gentleman who was also waiting said '"I guess I'll find somebody to talk to."  I told him I had nothing but time so let's talk.  He asked if I thought I was going to heaven to which I replied yes.  What followed was a litany of questions about my baptism ( the old Methodist sprinkle didn't count in his opinion) and my profession.  Writer, healthcare advocate, yada yada.  He told me there would be no need for those skills in heaven.  Then we got into the whole Pentecostal speaking in tongues thing and he kind of lost me.  I told him about the speaking in tongues that I heard at drive in worship on Pentecost Sunday and how it made an impression on me.  Then it was my turn to get air.  I also spent some time chatting with a previous co-worker from the hospital and we got caught up on everything.  You just never know what a day will bring.  

Somebody got my wicker chest that was to be for Reaves plus a heckuva deal on the whole set.  Now the search is on for another one.  If you see one holla'.  That baby likes to pick out her own clothes and needs her own dresser.  Just saying.  I started painting the mirror from the piece that I salvaged from Mozella's house yesterday.  It's falling apart but my buddy told me to get some liquid nail and keep painting.  

The corn children are now at least 3 feet tall which means if Reaves gets loose we would never find her in the maze.  Lauren told her there was snakes and bugs to stop her last time they were here.  She promptly turned around and came back!

Our church was set to resume in person worship this Sunday and the team that is planning met this morning to discuss the rising COVID rate in Tennessee.  Dyer county has jumped way up there.  So, they made a wise decision in my opinion.  It is very risky to meet in large groups with this first wave continuing to surge.  I kind of enjoy online worhip in my shorts. Years ago I gave my piano to a fellow church member so she could practice for Sunday evening worship.  All I asked was that it be returned to me at some point.  Now, I have no place for a piano plus I don't play that well so it's going to the church eventually, in honor of she and Cooper Patterson who tuned it for her.  

That's my story.  It's almost the first day of summer and it feels like it.  Y'all don't overheat and remember who you are.  Especially when some guy questions your faith ^j^


1 comment:

  1. Summer has arrived. Steelcowboy is back; he got his Harley up and running.
    God bless you Janie.

    ReplyDelete