Sunday, October 20, 2019

heavenly treasures

I don't know about all y'all, but at our church we hit stewardship hard at the end of the year.  I always just assumed it was a Methodist thing asking for money for next year's budget.  Mary Beth's sermon today gave me an entirely different perspective.  She asked us to list a few things that we consider treasures.  Mine were family friends and spirituality.  She then began to list heavenly treasures here on earth: Restoration. Grace. Forgiveness. Generosity. Justice.  These are treasures that we can share freely here on earth in our homes and community, even with ourselves.  

Restoration is a big one for the least of these, particularly in regards to addiction.  So many times addicts are shunned when in fact they have a disease.  It is grace within their communities that keeps them alive with hope of a better life.  I can speak to this at a personal level as my daughter is a recovering addict.  The recovery center in Jackson is where she landed of her own accord.  It was not a magic pill and it was hard work.  Still is.  One day at a time, as they say.  They have an event every October called SoberStock where the entire community gathers for fun and fellowship.  The first year Reaves was born Lauren was in the hospital and I heard it in the distance along with the Lane marching band doing pre-game.  Reaves was a month old.  

Justice is not something that we can always make happen.  But we can certainly speak up and out when it is not being served, even if it's unpopular.  I'm at the age where I don't give a flip what people think about me.  I just follow the heavenly guidance and do what I feel is the next right thing. 

Forgiveness is easy for me as a Christian.  I know what Jesus did for me so who am I to judge others.  He did it for them too.  Whenever you get all wrapped up in what you DONT have, count your blessing and live life with gratitude.  It works.

^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment