Saturday, April 1, 2017

baby sister

I slept until 1015 today and oh my goodness it felt great until I tried to get up.  I'm talking full body stiffness.  I was just about to head to the gentral when I got a phone call from Katherine and I haven't talked to her in FOREVER so it was nice to catch up.  She and Annie were Mom's best friends and have held onto me since she's been gone.  They're both dealing with health problems but managing.  I gave her a little medical advice like "you don't need cholesterol medicine" when you're 83 and suggested an alternative pain reliever for her to request.  It seems the elderly spend their days going to doctors and switching meds.  She had a bad blood pressure episode and has been diagnosed with macular degeneration.  And so it goes.  

I stopped by the mayor's house on the way home to give her a hug and visit a bit.  Her daughters were there, one busy with the laundry and such.  Her purple iris bed is absolutely stunning and the peony bushes in front are gorgeous and full of buds.  Daddy's out back is doing well.  I don't know what happened to the ones in the pine grove.  I think the madman on the mower might have got them.  Remember him?  The one who mowed down the asparagus not once but twice last year? Anyway, it's time because I can't see Mr. Snake with the tall grass and that makes me nervous.  

Katherine talked about nostalgia a lot....missing mom and daddy and all the other friends in Dyersburg.  She still drives but not two hours on 51.  Just to the doctor and such.  We talked about farm history and she had the Calcutts confused.  There's the Carney branch and then the Harry branch.  Harry's son Harvey is the owner of this place I call home.  The log cabin is still sitting there empty with wood showing and cypress walls gleaming.  I go there now and again to dig something up that's in bloom.  

All is well for the moment.  Let's hold that thought ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment