Saturday, June 18, 2016

today's totem(s)

I was up and at it pretty early this morning so as to get the dolla' gentral run out of the way and gas up for Jackson tomorrow.   Some things you just can't get there and canned crab is one of them so I'm a gonna' have to go to Kroger before I can make those little cakes that Kim told us about.  Her son said it was the #2 best recipe ever with #1 being chicken spaghetti.  I was sitting on the potty this morning looking out toward the children in the corn and saw something hop around and into the green stalks.  His buddy, however, stayed behind and munched in the yard.  I could see those big ears flopping in the breeze!

On the way home I noticed something that's not unusual but the response was.  As I cruised down the road two turkeys were picking through the wheat straw up close and personal.  Usually they run like the dickens when cars come by but these two let me sit and ogle them and even get a far away picture.  I reckon when the eating is that good everybody gets a little bit less skittish.  Beans will come next by the no-till ( thank the lord for no burning ) method.  There's another irrigation rig in the future so I'm feeling sure this is a class act. If only we could get rid of Monsanto *sigh*.

Meanwhile the farmer neighbors have the big garden, chickens and ducks and now a ROOSTER!  Beverly warned me the bird would take my dog's faces off and had already scared Mia to death.  I got flogged by one when I was a kid and have always been afraid of that shit.  For the first time in a week there's a nice breeze and it's well below a hundred.  I'll take that in a heartbeat.

 It was on the Saturday before Father's day last year that our lives took a drastic turn with the death of Pnoler.  Lauren was at work and got a call from his phone answering it  "Hey Daddy!".  Instead of her father's voice, it was someone telling her that he was dead.  They had made plans to meet for lunch in Jackson the next day.  Instead, he was being transported to Curry Funeral.  Fortunately I was off on Monday to help her with the arrangements.  It was the second time that month with KK's bunch.  I had to work the day of the service but it was timed so I could attend.  Lori brought Mama and Daddy and we all sat together as family in that pew and heard the words to Pnoler Stood by Butch Lamb.  Our friend Mamye had copies and passed them out.  Patti Lou and Anetta were comforting. in a spiritual sort of way.  PL told the story of how he had worked like a trojan with a whole county's worth of Girl Scout cookies.  "I love my wife" he told her.

BG and I find ourselves fatherless this year for the first time in our lives.  That's a bond that we share among many others.  We are both creative, she much more in an organizational way than myself.  I often call myself "the idea person" because I dream like a mofo but lack the skills to put hands and feet on an idea.  That's where co-working will be a great opportunity.  90 day plan in motion.  Our plan for tomorrow's visit is a trip to the Goodwill where she works and to Aldi.  That's about all the time we have, you know.  Oh..and Old Navy for dolla' flip flops.

Honor thy father ~


2 comments:

  1. I know it's not the same since mine is actually still above ground. But haven't seen him in 9 years and before that 18. And when did see him those couple times he couldn't talk due to the Parkinson. I miss mine too is what I'm trying to get too.
    Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's not the same since mine is actually still above ground. But haven't seen him in 9 years and before that 18. And when did see him those couple times he couldn't talk due to the Parkinson. I miss mine too is what I'm trying to get too.
    Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete