Friday, June 10, 2016

live and learn

Today was another meeting in preparation for Sunday's visit with BG.  It never ceases to amaze me the stories that people have and share.  I know enough about the streets to enjoy hearing them, if you know what I mean.  Today's was about a guy who took off in somebody's truck on a whim ( drug induced, of course ) not realizing there was a dog in the back until he heard the tags tinkling.  It took him about 45 minutes to get caught up with and the quick response was only because the truck owner was worried about his dog!  As always, anonymously spoken in true 12 step tradition explaining "how I got here."   And honestly, you just gotta' laugh to keep from crying.  Today was all guys and little old country girl me.

It's hot y'all...like 98ish and no breeze.  The season is still young enough that it zaps me pretty quickly if I do more than go from one AC to another.  As the summer progresses, tolerance builds and it becomes less of a challenge to endure.  Hydration is a must, even when not very active like myself.  For those who work out in it, just God love you.  I wouldn't last ten minutes.

Vacation seems like it never happened except I know I wouldn't be able to go with the flow most days had I not had the week at the beach to escape reality.  For that one week, the world consisted of strangers on the sand.  I LOVE watching folks parade around with their earphones in ignoring the sound of the surf.  I mean..duh.  That's why you came!!!  I saw several tribes that were obviously girl trip entourages slinging stories as they walked by in designer swimwear and makeup.  Who wears makeup to the beach?  Not I.  Of course I don't wear it any other time either except to funerals.

The crowd that is my parents' friends is steady shrinking and lost a good one today in Harry Houston, also known as Red.  He worked for the CoOp for years and was a well known humorist on the local banquet circuit so he and Daddy had a lot in common.  His wife Ruth worked with, played bridge with and generally was a best friend with my Mom.  She died a number of years ago leaving Harry alone in that big old house where he puttered making bird houses and growing onions in a bathtub.  I remember one day going by to ask him about putting a new door on the bluebird house Daddy built when I moved here.  He was already at the home by the time Daddy passed and Mom moved there so they watched all of the UT games together during 2015, their last hurrah with the Vols.  Time marches on.

I'm not sure exactly when it was but I distinctly remember watching a snake swim down the driveway during a monsoon last year.  It was fascinating to watch, and helped me to be less phobic about the whole reptile thing.  As long as they don't get in my house, we're good.  When we went to clean out after Mom moved to the home we found a skin dangling off the living room curtain rod.  O.M.G.   I talked to Ms Faye the other day and it was good to remember.

Gotta go.  It's Friday and Sugardaddy is probably coming by to sweep me off my feet.


1 comment:

  1. OMG. A snake skin in the living room?? I'd have to move pronto.

    ReplyDelete