Thursday, December 12, 2013

hard candy christmas

I remember my parents talking about Christmas when they were little which usually consisted of an orange, some nuts and a little candy in the stocking that was hung by the chimney with care. Mine were identical as a kid, but the amount of loot that came with that humble stocking was enough to entertain the poor children of an entire village in Africa. At the time I didn't really question it because our family was solid middle class enough to halfway afford it. My grandmother had a kazillion bucks so she spent like a maniac and going to her house was like Santa all over again. We continued to do that with breakfast until she went into assisted living, sans presents. By then she was broke!

Fast forward to 2013, the year of the most awesome pope in all time and the most evil shakedown of the democratic process in our country. Hopefully those two things will even each other out and we'll get a congress with some amount of empathy for we the people. I'm not holding my breath though. Miracles do happen, in spite of the struggles. I haven't bought a Christmas gift in several years because there's no money left after paying the loan sharks and propane guy. Now, it looks like no tree. I could really feel sorry for myself but then I think about reason for all this and the humble beginnings in that manager so long ago. And then I don't feel the least bit deprived.

BG suggested that maybe Mahala was my BF. Obviously she hasn't been reading about HER finances over there in the holler. We are sisters in distress valiantly fighting to keep our heads above water as the economy whips the shit out of us and our efforts to earn a living and make the world a somewhat better place for having lived. I'm listening to Christmas music and waiting for the afternoon sun to continue my mission. There are tons of nuts still in the trees and I can't climb OR smack with the bad shoulder so.....BG busted her butt last night so we're about in the same shape. Viva Aleve!I'm betting that old Santa will turn up whether I have a tree with presents or not. He always does if you belive.

^j^




1 comment: