Monday, December 24, 2012

traditionally speaking

I didn't have a clue what day it was when BG woke me up on this gray foggy morning. Oh, yeah. Christmas eve! She had some morning plans so I'm here with Sam beside the fake tree listening to Paul Carrack. I was a big fan in the eighties and had forgotten how dang GOOD he is! Feel good music, ya know? I can dance to just about anything he does, occasionally shaking the bootay a bit. Not too much of course...I get winded and might throw my back out. That would be all I'd need on top of the windowless hubcapless car that brings me back and forth to this propaneless house. Feeling sorry for myself? Nada. I still feel blessed to the gills and especially so knowing that what was shared with me helped others who have much much less. Like...nothing. I see it happening everywhere...what was originally known as paying it forward or random acts of kindness.

Today I stumbled on a video of Randy Pausch's last lecture on Oprah. I've watched both long and short versions of the lecture and still get something new from it every time. Randy died in 2008 from pancreatic cancer leaving young children that he wanted to know who he was later on. He used humor and inspiration in his lecture about achieving childhood dreams and illustrated that with his work at Disney. His friends and followers watched as he withered away from the ravages of a particularly painful type of cancer and said goodbye to his family and the world. I remember reading his progress reports weekly and wondering what I would be doing with my own life if that were me. His message touched a lot of people, and changed my total outlook on life. Always look ahead. Believe that you can do it. Pay it forward.

Looks like snow in the forecast on my next day off so that window might have to wait a bit longer. The plastic film works pretty good as long as nobody pokes a hole in it. So far so good on that one. I found out from KY cousin that the mason jar on a stem is a nifty way to get by open container laws since there's a screw on lid. Kewl! Not that I drink and drive anymore. It's hard enough to maintain sober what with all the fools running every which'a'way and texting. I tried that once and almost ran into a ditch.

Since my chimney is blocked I reckon I'll have to leave the door open for old Santa. Nah..scratch that. Hatchet man might come in the night with an automatic assault weapon because I bitch about the NRA. LaPierre, my ass. Anyway, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night. Kwanzaa. Hanukkah. If it's your belief, embrace it and share it with others. It's the only chance this old world has of finding peace ~J~

1 comment:

  1. Embracing here. Merry Christmas to you and others, young lady.

    ReplyDelete