Wednesday, December 2, 2015

the pilgrimage

lI'm the only one who has seen the stone atop Daddy's plot of dirt and Mom was needing some closure so we headed out there today to check things out.  The wind was sharp and cold but she was waiting with her walker by the front door when I pulled up.  We chatted a bit on the way over about the latest mass shooting which is not something I'm thrilled about but it is what it is.  She honestly didn't understand that it's all about politics and money now and somebody ought to " take those guns away!"  Right.  Not as long as Pierre has an evil breath left.

What I see happening is kind of like the way it was when Big Ernie said to hell with all you pagans and gave them some hard times to weather.  When that happens, it's just about the faith. Family members impacted by the loss of victims to violent crime are marked forever with a need for forgiveness and a longing for revenge.  A dear friend couple who lost their oldest daughter to a drunk driver found the mercy in their hearts to forgive him for taking her life.  I'm not so sure I could do that, at least not as quickly as they did.   They ministered to him in prison.

Anybody who has been alive for a few years remembers the Left Behind series.  I only read one and got totally worn out with the drama but I know the premise and it seems somehow familiar these days.  People are not thinking rationally and governments are cracking down on human rights just so they can control the masses.  I live in the redneck state of Tennessee where medical weed will surely die at the hands of the GOP while we refuse refugees and wait for Peyton to become president.  Haslam lets the senate do his dirty work so he can appear to be a bit more liberal than he is.  I am not fooled.  I don't care how many kids you send to community college for free because hey...that's what the lottery is for, remember?  Fuck all of you, and Jim Cooper too.  Oh and Lamar?  Bite me.

Sixty years is a long time in this day and age because technology has advanced so rapidly in the last 20.  I had no computer in HS...just a typewriter.  BG began keyboarding as a young child and eventually taught me how to get online during the ICQ era.  My first PC was a big old clunker bought 2nd hand from DSCC by my wonderful parents and delivered on Christmas eve.  I was hooked from day one!  Around here tech was limited to a few providers at first, one of whom also owned BBQ restaurants.

I can't give a politically correct story of what happened to us to get to where we are now.  I can, however, remember how Wall Street crashed time and time again until we became slaves to the high dollar folks.  Most people my age aren't considering retirement because they "need the insurance."  BG is paying cash for a mobile ultrasound this evening because it's about a hundred times cheaper than you know where.  No insurance.  Obamacare wouldn't take her!

I watched my frail little mother trudge over grass and mud on a walker to pay homage to her late husband and it took some time for us to get there. There were several others out and about so I had to move the car out of that narrow little path.  She of the always quick wit exclaimed "I'm walking on somebody's grave!"  Also, always thankful, she gave me props for the ride.  Another thing off the list, she said.

Expectant ~



No comments:

Post a Comment