Friday, December 11, 2015

social service

The sawmill used to be owned by Methodist Healthcare which bears the name of my home church.  Back in those days, having a chaplain was a part of the local structure and in our case local pastors were recruited to pull call and work with grieving families.  The last one we had was named Mark and after an oath from the buyer to retain that position for ten years, he was "dismissed" shortly after.  So much for promises.  The seller, otherwise known as MHS, screwed us out of half of the almost 1000 hours of sick time that many of had earned.  After the sale, poof.  I had to deal with legal people on both sides of the transaction to have access for blood bank records, I kid you not.  This was after I spent six months on the IT transition from hell.  It wasn't pretty, nor was it easy.  We are poster children for corporate America.

So now Dow and Dupont are engaged and there's all that toxic shit to deal with.  My late ex-husband scooped us asbestos from bulk bags at the local rubber plant in the late 70s and early 80s.  No masks, no ventilation.  It was "acceptable" industrial practice at the time.  But then, we found out about what it does to lungs and bodies.  They made rubber for tires which were all the rage then because the auto industry was booming.  Now?  Not so much.  They merged and sold several times as well and branched out into plastics at one point.

My dear friend Vicki has several homes and one of them is in the woods of North Carolina where bears come up on the deck and visit.  It is a to die for place that she loves with all of her heart and she found today that the heir to an adjacent piece of property sold logging rights and the land stripping has commenced.  I can't tell you HOW sad this makes me not only for her, but for the world at large.  Havens of nature are few and far between and should be preserved.  Big hugs sister.

Still no washer guy and the piles are approaching danger level, as well as the garbage.  My trunk is loaded so that I couldn't even find my booster cables but thankfully CB had her handy dandy new set yesterday.  Maddy noticed that I made it to work without him today!   Trolls are trolling and angels are singing and all is right with the world because I have two days off.

^j^




1 comment:

  1. AMEN, especially about Vicki's deforestation. It stinks.

    ReplyDelete