Monday, December 5, 2022

edo

When I was working at the hospital we used to be scheduled for extra days off resulting in less than 40 hours per week.  We all liked it because sometimes we had two in a row off.  The catch was that we were "on call" in case somebody didn't show up.  No extra pay for being on call.  You would get a message early in the morning or late at night saying come in at "this" time.   It was a budget cutting move way before 12 hour shifts came along.  I had night and weekend call for the first ten years that I worked there, but got paid for it.  I slept in a little room with a tiny bed and a phone that would wake me up at odd hours to do something important like an emergency transfusion or a stat chem or CBC.  At that point we only cranked up the big chemistry machine once a day and boiled tubes on call.  With a spectrophotometer to read and calculate chemistry values.  One of my dearest friends now is a urologist who showed up around that time and bitched me out for not having creatinine on the stat list.  I cried.  And he came to lab where I showed him how it was all done by one tech on call.  And he apologized because he didn't know how it was.

I had an EDO today so I took my brother to lunch at Dave's.  We normally meet on the porch in the afternoons but it gets dark pretty early and it's cold.  He is pretty much my rock these days, along with a few others.  I have about 30 pounds of pecans to get cracked for gifts.  It's the little things, 'ya know?  The secret Santa toys are hidden for now so that Reaves won't find 'em.  I need to check the budget and see where we are.  No clothes for her this time around thanks to Patti!

I could seriously have a yard sale with what I've got piled up in here, mostly art and whatnot.  I've only been here for two years you know.  Y'all be merry and bright.  Love you.....mean it ^j^


No comments:

Post a Comment