Thursday, July 7, 2022

why i hate summer

Despite all the lovely things about summer like growing things and swimming, I still despise it and start looking for fall around this time of year.  The South is in the middle of our third heat wave of the season and we are only two weeks into summer.  This I believe with all my heart is caused by global warming from our greedy corporate ways globally.  Yes, it's a real thing.  The summer that I will never forget is the one in about 1982 when my husband and I were living in a rental house and I got the bright idea to refinish furniture in the driveway with my Uncle Jimbo's help.  Beginning on July 4th we had seventeen straight days of temps at or above a hundred.  We got notified three months after we moved in that we had to move so the owners' son could have it.  I never even got all the boxes unpacked.  For the first time in our lives we had two bathrooms!  But, it was really too much for a young couple.  We found a smaller rental close to the hospital and the owner helped us to buy it.  Lauren was born shortly after the move and we stayed until she was four.  Then we came to the country.

Looking back, I can at least say that I owned a house once in my life.  I have been renting on the farm for 34 years but most of the time I'm grateful to have somebody else responsible for repairs and whatnot.  Home ownership is not for twice divorced widows on SS.  Also looking back, I realize that I should have socked some money away back in those days.  Instead, there was a Chapter 17 resulting from easy credit, like 30K worth.  The BK was one of the reasons we got back together.  Cheaper, ya' know.  

As I drove home I watched morosely at the beans that are frying.  Normally by now they would be green and visible.  They're just all hidden under the wheat stubble.  Reminds me of the tales of Dust Bowl days.  There are things I want to do and places I want to go but by the time I get home at 4:30 after getting in and out of a hot car all day I just stay home and try not to open the door to save the cool air.  

Hydrate, people!  All that sweat is your body losing water and it has to be replaced.  Trust me.  I'm almost a nurse ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment