Wednesday, July 4, 2018

independence

I listened to NPRs annual reading of the Declaration and really LISTENED to the reasons given for leaving England.  I did not know but learned later that slavery was going on in England and was in fact brought to this country by several including Thomas Jefferson though he had moral problems with it.  Um. Alrighty then.  Anywho we all know the rest of the story and how now all men and women are treated as equals in this wonderful country of ours.  As I listened to the description of the king's behavior I couldn't help but think of our current leader's twitter addiction and much more.  It gave me a shiver.

I am grateful to live in a country where I can own a gun if I want one for self protection or food.  I am also thankful for the right I have to express my opinions peacefully and not be called an idiot.  If that means I have to carry a sign somewhere, I'll damn well do it.  I could absolutely slaughter people with the power of my words if I so chose.  But that's not what I do.  I write for sanity and hope and clarity to a brighter more peaceful world not for me, but for my daughter and grandchild and all of yours.  It doesn't have to be this way.  Apathy is the road to failure.  

So I guess this is my response to today's trend only not on the phone and clever or short.  I feel very strongly at this moment in time that we must seek common ground if we are to survive, any of us.   That's my story and I'm sticking to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment