Friday, June 5, 2015

golden shadows

June is a beautiful month on the farm even though you can smell the Monsanto like REALLY strong when there's not a breeze.  Early morning is hazy and has that stench.  This time of day is my favorite though, when the shadows start changing on the background of green and gold..  Wheat that was planted way before the ice storms is maturing now and will be cut (thrashed?) soon resulting in one giant sneezefest for our  family.  Note to self:  New AC filter.  While I still have no 'maters in the straw with the snake, there is some corn and a few beans plus some ragged little herbal survivors.   I'm headed to the FNP as soon as possible for some steroids because at this point, it's all that works.  Surrounded by rivers, we are constantly seeing   cottonwood fluffs floating around.

I did a different job again today and was amazed at how much fun it is to really interact with people rather than just run tests all the time.  There was this sixth grade boy, chubby and nervous as heck because he had been stuck a bunch of times already at the other place.  We bonded and played and he sat real still while I prayed to sweet baby Jeebus that the whole thing worked and thankfully it did.  His mama is a nursing student so she got a real kick out of the scene.  It was a long day... no long WEEK and I was ready to bolt.
I slowed down on the way up my lane, gazing and stopping here and there to take it all in.  It has been mine to wander freely for almost 60 years now and I know just about every nook and cranny here thanks to guys with four wheelers.  I don't hunt, but I sure know how to find where the critters live.   And sometimes they just find me!

Happy weekend to all y'all and your mama and them.  If I were you I'd go on over to  see what Mahala wrote about mama drama.  ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment