Monday, June 15, 2015

forget me not

My friend JenBWag works with the Alzheimer's association as  a day job and I knew about their wonderful work and quest for wellness.  As I mingled with relatives at the funeral home I noticed that there were several multicolored bands on their wrists as a remembrance of the disease that robbed Aunt Granny of her dignity.  She taught both Nic and I to play piano and his opening piece on the keyboard did me in.  Good thing I brought lots of tissues.  She and Jimbo were classical freaks with the art but enjoyed other venues as well like broadway productions and always, their door was open to kids who filled their spare time with making music.   They are together now with Michael and Debbie and all the other ethereal relatives that make up a life.  The highlight of my day was a big fat hug from Lake county.

The grands had to go home because it's hot as hell and it was lunchtime.  Daddy actually put on a tie and Mama enjoyed the service. They don't get out much and neither do I.  We trekked on over to the cemetery and had a few words of prayer with a quite spiritual woman who knows how to honor death with life and scripture and I felt connected to my god for the first time in a very looooooooong time.  PL gave me a ride while BG got the grands situated out of the sun and in their chairs.  Mama had ice cream and she was happy.  Cousin Sandy was there with her father-in-law toddling around on a cane like my own.  The Reaves girls never give up...ever.  We may throw a hissy fit or sleep for a week but in the end?  We do the next right thing.

^j^


No comments:

Post a Comment