Saturday, November 5, 2022

hurry up and wait

I know better than to visit the 'gentral on Saturday, but there I went to Four Points which is the junkiest of them all.  All toys were buy one get one 75% off and I got stuck behind a woman who was obviously buying Christmas presents for a hundred kids.  I'm talking FOREVER in line.  Self checkout wasn't working.  I could barely maneuver in there with all the inventory parked in the middle of aisles.  I should have gone to Forrest Street to the shady one.  In spite of their location, they run an easy to access store.  The thing I miss the most is that they don't sell clothes anymore.  I was looking for sweat pants and ended up with some fuzzy pajama ones.  And two toys for Reaves.

I woke up to no internet this morning so I found myself crawling around on the floor with tech support on the line.  We had a big thunderstorm pre-dawn so I figured it was due to lightning.  Both modem and router were dead as a doornail.  Until he suggested I check the outlet.  It's a double one and the only in my bedroom but the lamp that is also plugged in was still on.  I unplugged the lamp, plugged in the computer stuff and immediately got power.  Funny thing is, when I plugged the lamp back into the other one, it worked.  I don't know....just glad not to be without my one form of entertainment for the weekend.  

Today is a big day for UT fans with a powerful opponent in Georgia.  I wish my Daddy was still alive to see this comeback by his precious Vols.  But then again, I guess they have TV in heaven.  Poor thing hung his head in shame the whole time I was at Memphis State but I did end up as a UT Memphis graduate so that made up for it.  

Tomorrow is All Saint's Day at church and hopefully I'll have my girls there with me.  I will never forget my friend Kay coming to sit with me on All Saints Sunday the year that my mother died.  It was tough hearing her name read aloud as a saint but brought me comfort as well.  Lorna and I talked about the afterlife the other day and we both feel that it is a cosmic kind of thing, unlike the pearly gates deal.  That involves judgement which I don't think God is into.  Who knows?  After almost dying twice in one week, I can testify that there is, indeed, a God and He is good.  Jesus definitely took the wheel before I crashed into a ravine on the way to ER.  And a pox on the ER doc who brushed me off as "not having diverticulitis" without even doing a scan.  Normal white count, off you go old lady.  I remember very little of what happened when I went the second time, eat up with sepsis.  And that is a blessing.

I feel oddly separated from the holidays this year.  It's just me and the girls and Bubba and nobody ever has the same schedule.  I've already purchased a couple of things for myself ahead of time...little things like a day planner and wall calendar to start the new year.  The last time we had Thanksgiving dinner together, I cooked at the old house and we ate on a folding table down here in the new one.  I didn't move in until February of the next year but it seemed like the thing to do.  Moving became a necessity when my pipes froze up there on the hill so thank goodness we already had some furniture down here.  Bubba and I went around to all the utility companies and got me signed up shortly after.  

I am tired to the bone and my stamina is very low right now.  Is it age?  Perhaps.  Maybe just soul sickness.  I look for the positives in all situations and try to be humble and grateful and do the next right thing.  It's just a melancholy time of life for a single old gal.  Sleeping a lot doesn't help.  And when I sleep too little?  It's pitiful.

Y'all wear your orange loud and proud today.  Good old Rocky Top ^j^


No comments:

Post a Comment