Monday, October 14, 2013

mentors and millionaires

The big news in our 'burg today is that somebody here holds a lottery ticket worth 1.9 million give or take a few thousand. It was the dollar kind not Powerball so the store owner doesn't get anything out of the deal. I stopped at the gas station on the way home and heard people talking about the whole hoorah and how people like the ones in our town are bad about not hanging onto the cheap ones. Tsk.Tsk. I reckon that's why I've never bought one. It would be strictly my luck to lose the son of a gun and miss out on payday. Speaking of luck, the birthday window that my parents bought was not installed properly so it dropped into the door AGAIN this afternoon but hopefully didn't break. That's because we couldn't afford the regulator. Duct tape? REALLY??

I worked a different shift today that allowed me to sleep late in my new feng shui bed position which is something that HAD to happen considering the amount of dog hair and dust on those floors. I have a princess and the pea style two mattresses on top of springs on the floor. Much better for the back than sagging slats on an old bedframe. Let's just say that corner is now mostly hair free and the cleanest place in the house at this point.

When I got to work I heard about the death of one of my most favorite doctors. Dr. Jimmy Noonan was a brilliant clinician who bucked early at the idea of being bought out by corporate when what people really needed was an honest to goodness do no harm physician. His practice and that of several other partners was bought up by the company that was our main competitor during the early nineties. He didn't sell out, and instead came back to lead us with his skill for finding talking points in every article of every journal that he ever read, and there were many. He also acted as a go to guy for our hospitalists and served on every committee there was. I remember my mama telling me that he went to military school and therefore didn't graduate from DHS with all the rest of their bunch. Miss Ann has been my mother's Godsend taking her on errands and picking her up for bridge. He was determined not to ever let his physical limitations get in the way of practicing good medicine. You will be missed sir.

Booger has learned a new trick that involves running his tongue over his incoming tooth and blowing loudly. He loves the dogs and the way they tickle his feet when he's in the walker on the nasty dirty kitchen floor. He was here when I got home and BG had spent a day doing laundry and dishes when he let her not be all his.

Love ya. Mean it ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment