Thursday, October 10, 2013

because i can

I'm having a very soul cleansing kind of day following a trip to the dolla' store for some new shampoo and toothbrushes. BG is out looking for movies and even though it's glorious outside there's a lot of allergens floating around and we're out of benadryl. Forgot that one when I made a four points run. I did, however, score some cute sandals for 1.80 at 70% off. That's how this old girl shops. It used to kill me watching my mother sit around and go through catalogs ordering stuff that ultimately wouldn't fit because she's so short. She kept Appleseeds.com in business. But that was then and this is now and we're neck deep in a shutdown of basic government services in such a way that whomever freakin' BLINKS first is either the hero or the villain. I've got to be honest, it scares the shit out of me and I'm glad I got faithful before this big old gol'durn mess came along. That's what Doris used to call it when everything goes to hell in a handbasket.

I haven't seen Doris in forever and a day nor Yaya or my redneck friend Angie or Gigi or well, anybody much outside of work. Because that's all I do ya know ;) That and the other stuff. Our house is emptier which is good because it's easier to sweep, though we do need a new broom or two. Corporate is coming just in time for bean cuttin' and pecan falling so there's that incentive to clean up the homestead. I still have scrap laying in a pile out by the driveway just waiting to be stolen and no takers. *sigh*

We found a treasure trove of memories in this one American Eagle bag from BGs high school days. There was a yellowed full page story about my daddy and the way he's been tied to agriculture and service to others all his life. Son of a sharecropper gets to live every farmer's dream as the middle man. As long as I can remember he's been volunteering his time to help others and my mama did the same thing. They were very strong supporters of the local volunteer blood program for years. Daddy drove a van picking up underprivileged kids for transport to the nearby youth camp. My mother established the tradition of home bound communion in our church which is something that I found to be a really powerful experience. The church is with the people, wherever they are.

My friends Martha and Glenda are going to see Michael McDonald next month and I wish I could ride in one of them's purse and see my hero in person just one time. They've seen Barry lots of times...big time Fanilows! That Doobie Brother has always had my heart.

Over and out from the lane ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment