Wednesday, October 9, 2013

church night

For those who make their way toward a gathering of one or more on hump day this is a long one with fellowship normally following a full day of work, unlike Sunday services. It's even long for those who volunteer to run the buses and pick up elderly and those who have no car. Wednesday night was a big part of our years at FUMC with Youth Club and later Salt and Light becoming ministries. At youth club adults would each lead a table of mixed sex and aged kids, usually stairstepped from elementary to high school. It was an interesting experience in watching them grow up and gave me some training for my term as a parent. It was an idea introduced by a couple of our pastors who were kind of outside the box. That youth program was set up to succeed when the younger man went off to seminary. A large council of parents was pulled together to keep it going, complete with graphs and charts. Wade found what was successful with these kids and made it work for them. He is the main reason that I taught SS during the high school years when BG said "no thanks." Oh, and Cecil and Tharon and Lynn and Ronnie and...my faith was molded during those years and it continues to become stronger the more obstacles I face. That's what Big Ernie does with the faithful so that it's never really a finished project.

As for me, this hump day is my free day eve so I'm thinking about staying up past six since Booger's coming and all. Plus there's $ for takeout thanks to a random sale of furniture which I hauled in the backseat of the (faithful) Camry up to the buyer's work. It's all a big surprise for her daughter who spotted the piece and about died over it knowing that Mama would scoop it up for her at some point. I.Can't.Wait. She has two little kids who will have all kinds of fun with the drawers.

My family never had time for the mid-week thing because there were three kids, two jobs and an entire farm to run. But hey...I turned out okay I think. Depends on who you ask at any given point in time! Simplicity is the key to what my life is about now. I spent decades trying to control details of every little thing only to find that I was nothing but exhausted. And yes, they make a pill for that. I wear the same clothes over and over because it's a necessary thing. At least there's not a dress code anymore...that was a freakin' nightmare! I had all good scrubs and had to wear my friend's solid hand me downs until just a year or so ago. My cute ones went to Anna Banana the superhero of our local head start.

Not to go to the dark side or anything but I am more than concerned at what's happening with the federal government and it scares me to see the figure 5% used as an approval rating. Somehow our illusion of safety has become to have somebody in charge who is totally right about everything. That's called a lot of things including a dictatorship. Only here we have a whole shitload of 'em who listen to the crazy ones. Hitler started that way. Segregation was a sad product of the same kind of politics. God bless good old Abe Lincoln and the Allied troops.

Just like my daddy said "Janie.. It has always been thus and so." Yes sir ^j^



No comments:

Post a Comment