Thursday, December 3, 2020

old habits

Ever since I learned how to make the triple fudge chocolate bundt cake, it has been a tradition for me to gift special people in my life with that delicacy.  I have learned over the years to sift the powdered sugar for the icing and not let the cake cool within Ellie's reach.  Plus there's always fresh holly on top.  I just happen to have a plentiful source of that so I picked up the stuff to make three today at Kroger.  In spot #3 which is where I always end up.  It's easier to get to.  They have changed their pickup bags from the old timey paper ones to easier to carry plastic ones.  Now I'm all about saving the planet and I will recycle like a mofo but that's a plus for me.  Handles and everything!


My plumbing has exploded for some unknown reason so I can't run the washer or the bathroom will flood.  Fortunately I was pretty caught up and can weather that little hiccup.  A lot of people don't have the luxury of washing at home.  Or having heat and food, much less internet and streaming channels.  I am acutely aware of this because I see poverty in action every day around here.  And you know what?  Folks really do want to help.  My church is one of the few that still does emergency financial assistance through a discretionary fund.  We also have a food pantry that is organized and well stocked.  These two programs are financed differently but the end result is the same.  People who seriously need help are served by a compassionate bunch of folks who volunteer their time to make the system work.  There is interactive software linked with other agencies and it requires a lot of teamwork to make that happen.  It's a far cry from the days when our church secretary Mrs. Evelyn Puckett ran the show!

Be nice and do random acts of kindness with no expectations.  You never know who needs a lift for the moment ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment