Friday, December 27, 2019

near miss

The lane is notorious for potholes most of the time.  Earlier this year the county graded and poured gravel.  It was dusty, but the holes were  gone.  Until now.  I had noticed that the road was becoming rough again.  The plan is to tar and chip in the spring but.....it at least needs to be grated again.

I woke up at 2AM with the belly pain and had already decided it was time to go to the ER.  I struck out in the dark and either hit a hole or loose gravel or both and lost control of my car on the hill..  I wrestled with it trying to get straight after finding myself staring straight at a huge ditch and embankment.  It took several tries to stop the spin and stay on the road.  The good Lord was watching over me and grabbed the wheel before I hit the ditch.   Scary as hell.  Had I hit that ditch and embankment nobody would have known until the neighbors went to work this morning.  Also scary.  

The ER looked pretty empty but has it so happened I was one of four admissions within 12 minutes.  I know the drill.  INT was inserted in my one good vein and blood drawn for labs.  They all came back perfectly normal and the doctor said that what I presented with was not diverticulitis but spastic colon.  He gave me two weeks worth of Bentyl with an order to follow up with my FNP for refills if it helps.  I pray so because something's got to give.  I very carefully drove home after that 2 hour visit and crawled back under the covers.  I cannot see squat at night and considering my almost wreck, I took it slow through the city while the people slept.  The 'burg rolls up the sidewalks and is deserted that time of early morning.

When I woke up it was daylight and I looked at the kitchen clock which is an hour ahead so I thought it was time for the pharmacy to be open.  I got there 30 minutes before and waited for them to open because I was desperate for relief.  It didn't take long and I was on my way hoping for the best.  I've had one so far and it seems to be helping.  Please please please let it work.  

I'm still pretty shook up over the almost wreck.  I have a clear vision of my car headed for that ditch bank before I overcompensated and finally got it under control with numerous spins. It is partiIularly scary with elders living alone Nobody knew I was out so nobody knows when I don't show back up.

There is no "cure" for IBS aka spastic colon.  It is a life sentence to keep flares to a minimum and I've had three this year.  I was diagnosed with it young in life but it hasn't bothered me much until this year.    

And so it goes.  I hope that the holiday spirit continues for you and yours.  It ain't over until Epiphany you know ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment