Wednesday, April 24, 2019

shake rattle and roll

The dogs were up and at it before daylight this morning which is unusual.  I reckon it could have been that 3.6 earthquake that hit right before six.  I didn't feel it at all so I was clueless until I saw trucks from two Memphis news stations in town. When I asked girl at the chicken store what was up she described the shake rattle and roll they experienced at work. It was felt far and wide and the epicenter was around the Obion River bridge north of town.   I hope they check that thing out for damage. 

I am notorious for setting fires.  Once I was burning off the asparagus and it spread out into the bean stubble spreading quickly.  No harm there.  My friend and I managed to contain it with brooms and rakes and there was no crop loss.  However, my stupid self did light one during a burn ban and it got away from me in a HURRY spreading into the bean field.  The fire departments came....a lot of them.  It was on the front page of the paper.  I was made the poster child for that sort of thing so I'm extra careful  now.  

Yesterday I noticed that some jerk had dropped off a big furniture box with all the packing right on the side of the road.  I talked to my brother and he said to just burn it if there wasn't an address on it to follow up with the law.  No address so I fired it up.  It was almost through burning when a piece of something blew over into the corn stubble and started it up.  OH LORD.  Not again.  My first thought was "but he told me to do it!"  I came home and got a rake and crawled up and down the ditch several times stomping and flailing with the rake.  It got down on the ditch bank but was stopped when it hit water.  I watched it for awhile and all was well in the end.  It had been dropped between two young pecan trees and I dragged it out into the road so as not to burn those.  And dude left a calling card.  An empty bud light can shining brightly in the sun.  Some people. I prayed every time I crawled that ditch for no snakes.  

The dogs and I went for a walk this morning and I realized  how out of shape I've gotten.  That's a priority to continue until it hits 100. Then, i give.  

Keep smiling.  Keep shining ^j^


No comments:

Post a Comment