Monday, December 17, 2018

when it rains it pours

I started out on a simple mission to get a pound of butter for the last cake.  And then, according to Murphy's law, everything changed in a heartbeat.  I stopped at Mickey D's for a McMuffin and pulled over to wolf that down.  When I tried to start the car, nothing but clicking.  I raised the hood, scoped out the battery and thought maybe it was the corrosion on the one wonky terminal.  So I went inside, bought a coke and proceeded to pour it over.  No help.  My brother boosted me off and I headed to the place where I bought the battery to have it checked.  It was dead and six months out of warranty.  Alrighty then.  That was 150 bucks I didn't have.  Adding insult to injury, one of the terminals AND the wire need to be replaced.  Estimate on that was 45 bucks at Lake Road Amoco.  

I have noticed that the driver's side window doesn't go up and down properly so I went to the glass place that took care of the passenger side.  He rolled it all the way down and it took both of us to get it back up.  Needs a new regulator.  I'm currently searching for one at scrap yards because a new one is way over a hundred.  While I'm at it I'm also looking for a passenger side door handle which has been broken off forever and requires a tricky move to get somebody in and out.  Fortunately I rarely have passengers.

My mind is spinning trying to figure out what the priorities are and how I can afford them. Everybody I talked with was polite and helpful thank goodness.  Well, except for one.  A sweet lady at McDonald's offered me a boost but I told her my brother was on the way.  People try to be good, seriously.  I'm thinking Mercury must be in retrograde.  It's been that kind of day.  As I was leaving the service station I side swiped their bright yellow pole and now have a glowing streak down the side.  Lerd.  

I know I need another car desperately.  I also know that the way I'm struggling right now it's looking impossible.  As I know from experience, miracles do happen.  I'm thinking that God has something in store for me that isn't quite ready to happen yet and when I find myself beating my head against the wall I have to let it go.  It's not in my hands.  One foot in front of the other and do the next right thing.  

I am grateful that ATT extended my payment arrangement so I don't get hammered so bad at the bank.  I am grateful that the car runs to get me where I need to go.  And I am thankful for a warm house and my loving healthy family.  I reckon the rest is just small stuff.  

Keeping the faith ^j^

1 comment:

  1. It is hard to remain in the faith when the seas are rough and the storms keep raging...
    "Faith is trusting God - even when it makes no sense to do so."

    ReplyDelete