Friday, November 16, 2018

the cost of living

I try not to whine about finances a lot but the truth is for most retired folks it's like working a puzzle to figure out how to pay the bills.  The income is fixed and prices keep going up.  Even at that, I feel blessed to even have an income.  My money management skills are poor and always have been.  If I had contributed to the company sponsored 401K over the years I would kinda' sorta' have that, though their stock isn't worth much these days.  Last time I looked it was hovering around 4.50 from a high of 60 two years prior. A lot of people lost a lot of money. That is because the company took on WAY too much debt buying up every little thing they could find and merging with HMA.  There was much restructuring and selling off.  Dyersburg, Martin and Jackson were sold this year right after I was officially retired.  I visited my peeps up in there today and got lots of hugs.  They seem content with the status quo.  That was just a really crappy last year for me, if you know what I mean.  Water under the bridge.  

We used to have tons of primary care physicians around here.  Now there is a handful with FNPs doing the bulk of the work.  They usually know more anyway, just saying.  High five to Kelly, Leigh Ann,  Lisa, Brad and all you other troopers on the front lines.  Healthcare must return to rural roots mentality and move away from big pharm for the sake of patients.  Just because the good insurance is there, don't use it for diagnostics that are not necessary every three months.  Don't charge a stable, reliable and compliant patient for a visit every three months just to get refills.  Enough.

I have a big mouth which we all know.  Healthcare was and always will be my passion because I'm such a little nurturer.  If insurance companies and big pharm were throttled down, universal healthcare could be a reality.  I paid out the ass for 40 years to get company sponsored insurance and find myself in that gap between can't work that job and Medicare.  The marketplace has been good to me this year but my deductible goes up by a thousand bucks in 2019.  Do I wish I was 65 so I would qualify for Medicare?  No.  That would be stupid.  I just hope it's still there when I get there.  I paid for it.

I can hear metal being crunched down the road at the scrapyard where I take cans.  Unfortunately that is the only recycling available here.  I've got glass stacked up from here to next year waiting for Dyer County Recycles to get up and running.  It's a long uphill battle for them like with most non-profits.  Today has been glorious to say the least.  It was warm enough for me to clean the car up a bit and not wear a coat.  I'll take it any day over the snow. 

I hope Reaves remembers me.  It's been awhile, ya' know?  I think their tree is going up soon because Lauren will be having knee surgery right after Thanksgiving.  I'm sure there's a Norman Rockwell for that kind of Christmas!

Thankful ~


No comments:

Post a Comment