Tuesday, November 13, 2018

let it snow?

Honey, please.  Normally Thanksgiving time around these parts is warmish as in autumnal weather.  We have fast forwarded to a chance of snow tomorrow and Thursday.  WTF.  This is paranormal even by Tennessee standards.  There was a bit of sleet on the porch and car this morning but nothing big.  While I was at the 'gentral I picked up some deicer just in case.  Lord, I wish I had a garage.  There is nothing worse than trying to get an old car unfrozen.  That's how I lost both door handles.  

Holidays have turned into non events for me.  I suppose that working so many of them have numbed me to "the day."  I plan to eat with my brother on Thanksgiving and other than that who knows.  What used to be traditional annual family gatherings have gone by the wayside.  I know, that sounds really grinchy.  Being broke has a lot to do with it too.  I miss my girls.  A lot.  Maybe watching Christmas movies would help.  

Reaves is at the age where she'll probably either be scared to death of Santa or giggle like a maniac.  50/50.  If I know her she'll pull his beard and glasses.  She'll get lots of toys but not much from her broke old grandma.  That's okay because it's about joy not things.  Might as well learn that early!  

My mother gave me a book one year called A Stranger for Christmas which was about a family taking in an elderly person for the holiday to join their family.  It's in the stack of Christmas stuff and I will read it again, including my mother's hand written words.  She absolutely loved it....she and Daddy both.  

I know from experience that the firsts after the death of a loved one are the worst.  Christmas.  Birthday. Mother's Day. Etc.  I have albums on top of albums where my mom documented every occasion that we celebrated.  Once my brother Bubba was admitted to the hospital for pneumonia on his cold January birthday.  Things happen and we end up where we least expect to be.

After being pissed off yesterday, I'm kind of misty this morning.  If I'm lucky I have 20 years left to live and deal with declining health.  I try not to dwell on that and focus on today and the blessings I have.  The only good thing I can say about the cold weather is that the bugs are dying and the kudzu too.  

My biggest fear is drowning or burning alive.  My heart goes out to the folks in California for their devastating losses.  The deforestation is bound to make things so much worse in an already ravaged state.  I read that the Republican congressional candidate in Arizona has conceded before the recount is complete.  The ploy behind this is for her to replace John McCain in the Senate.  There's always an end game.  

I had forgotten what havoc cold weather plays on arthritis but have been reminded of late.  Thank you Ibuprofen.  

^j^




No comments:

Post a Comment