Sunday, November 10, 2019

motive

We are still focusing on stewardship at church and today's sermon was another good one.  My daddy always told me that when you pray, not to do it for attention.  Go in the closet where nobody sees you and God sees your heart and motive.  Now that doesn't apply to all situations.  We have group prayer and individual prayer and even service as a prayer.  Any time you do something good that is pleasing to God if your motives are pure, the gift is accepted.  No praise necessary.  I'm not one who can help a lot financially but if I have cash on me I drop it in the plate.  It's not much, but added together with all the others it adds up to provide funds to keep the ministries of our churches in the mode of helping others in a variety of ways.  I overslept and still ended up getting there early.  My little family came soon after.  

It is heartwarming to be with what little family I have remaining in that place which has raised generations in the UMC.  I feel the spirit of my parents there, especially when somebody mentions them.  One friend remarked today "Billy would be so proud seeing you there on the front row!"  He knows it, and so does mama.  It's pretty cool sitting behind acolytes and being close to small talk.

Mamye is here pickin' and we noticed a japanese beetle invasion plus a honeybee swarm.  There's a bee in my house but I refuse to kill him.  Unless he bites me and then it's on.  Today is the last really good day to be out there pickin' but I'm still sore from yesterday so my participation will be light.  I'm still sitting here in church clothes.

We are shifting in our focus I do believe.  Only so many lies can be forgiven.  I see more community building and general caring about each other than I ever have in my life.  The reason for that is I went looking for it.  That is the only road to change.

^j^




1 comment:

  1. I believe that as long as we give to the church with a cheerful heart it's cool.

    ReplyDelete