Monday, November 25, 2019

enough

Many of us are accustomed to thinking in the realm of scarcity.  New cars.  Fancy clothes.  Expensive food.  Hoarding "things" here on earth, so to speak.  I used to be that way but no more.  I give daily thanks for what I have which is simply, enough.  I'm not rich financially and never have been.  This life on the farm has been and continues to be a gift that many cannot imagine.  My daughter and grandchild still get to enjoy it.  That's four generations y'all.  

It is important for kids to know from whence they came.  You can show them pictures all day long but there's nothing like experiencing that in real time.  Lauren has come up with memories from where she was two years old of things that I had forgotten.  The blood of our ancestors and the blessing of family mean a lot to both of us and to the heritage that is Ferguson Farm/Calcutt Farm.  I have spoken to many of my age people who kept their horses here when Mr. Council was the horseman.  The late Ms Mary Crawford walked the house with me and explained what every room was for back in the days that she lived here.  

This old gal has been so busy I haven't even gotten the kitchen cleaned up for Thanksgiving.  While Lauren was washing clothes I tackled the dishes..always leaving the silverware for last.  It's still laying there screaming my name.  But at least I have a fork and something to eat with it.  

Y'all be blessed ^j^


1 comment:

  1. That's so true. It is why I stayed in Maple Ridge so long and insisted my kids grew up there. They may not have enjoyed it in their teens, but they will always know where they came from. And I still have to take them to the family farm in Lytton to show them where I grew up. Though we moved so often sometimes it feels like I don't know my own roots. Which may be part of the reason the Ancestry.com thing was so fascinating to me.

    ReplyDelete