Sunday, October 15, 2017

touch and go

Something tugged at me when I left Lauren on Friday afternoon.  I was sick and tired of that hospital just like her and ready to come home, Reaves notwithstanding.  "I'm just glad it's over" she said following the uneventful D and C.  I called on Saturday morning and found that she was in OB triage at the ER because of fever and chills.  Oh boy....here we go again.  I threw together some stuff and headed back that way and by the time I got there she was admitted.  She had a low grade fever of around 100 and was shaking like a leaf.  I watched as they hung three antibiotics and headed to the apartment to care for Reaves overnight.  Sometime in the middle of the night, her temp went WAY up and they called the doctor in who wasn't even on call but is part of her group.  He ordered blood cultures and examined her thoroughly trying to find the source of the right upper quandrant pain.  She got massive doses of pain meds then passed out and woke up in a drenched bed with the fever broken.  I knew none of this until we talked this morning.  It's good that I didn't because I'd have been torn between which girl to stay with!

Reaves and I got along fabulously.  She's a great baby who doesn't fuss much except for a valid reason.  Her new pacifier has a little animal on the end of it to help her hold on which is awesome.  Wub a Nub maybe?  I'm out of the loop.  Anyway, she loves it.  Because she was born only one day before Lauren's birthday it was kind of like a flashback for me to 33 years ago.  She wakes up every 3 to 4 hours to eat and get changed and usually goes right back to sleep in that sweet little electric cradle.  WITH the wubanub.  Lots of kids were curious to see "the baby" and they would tiptoe in and gawk at her.  Mike was in and out.  Soberstock was going on next door and the music was loud and parking scarce.  

Once again, I am sleep deprived after a three week recovery from four days of it.  I admire my daughter for being such a good little mother and all that it entails in spite of all of her own physical ailments.  It's bound to be a test.  And she would tell you that baby girl is worth every bit of it.  

To all of you who have prayed and sent good vibes, thank you.  To my co-workers who are some of those very ones, bless you for understanding my dilemma and allowing me the time to spend with our new family during this rough patch.  Like the doctor told us during day 1 of induction: " This will be a marathon, not a sprint."  Right on Dr. West.

Lauren was still wearing the raggedy Bill Murray tshirt she went in wearing so I went by the gift shop and got her a new cute one.  Play it as you see it....one step at a time.

Gratitude ~


No comments:

Post a Comment