Thursday, August 13, 2020

the king

I was a Memphis girl for two years.  I graduated from UTCHS in June 1977 and took a job in Dyersburg but still had a boyfriend in Memphis so I was back and forth.  I remember driving the interstate in August of that year the day Elvis died.  There was sadness in the air and an emptiness that could be felt just by being in the city.  He had a show scheduled shortly after his death and I bet at least half of those ticket holders did not cash in but kept them as keepsakes.  They're probably worth a lot of money now!

I was never a huge fan but I respected him as the legend that he was.  Somewhere amongst all this mess I have a laminated first edition Elvis stamp.  Lord only knows where it came from.  If I run across it I'll post a pic.  

I had a lovely morning full of various hugs and intelligent conversation.  When I stopped by Kroger to give the rent check one of the fuel customers had a gas leak and it was obvious.  My bro handled it like the pro he is and immediately sprayed it down after helping the guy push his car out of the way.  

It looks like rain is probable but hey....the beans need it.  The irrigation system has not been on much at all this summer because of regular rains.  That's a money saver for sure.

Y'all hug 'em like you mean it.  And keep the faith ^j^




1 comment: