Thursday, January 8, 2015

walking in memphis

Growing up as a northwest TN native the logical next move for my education post-DSCC was Memphis as in State, not University of. After that came the University of Tennessee Center for Health Sciences where many a practitioner did clinicals at the Gaston. Baptist on Union is where Elvis got pronounced but they've moved East where all the rich people live. I would have hated to pay the bill on that demolition! Rumor has it that one of the members of the ginormous pathology group that I worked with through Methodist Healthcare was in the autopsy room. The Shelby County medical examiner was Jerry Francisco for years until OC Smith took over and tried to blow himself up or something. Sometimes memory fails me.

There was a pizza place across the tracks from MSU that was to die for. My boyfriend lived in Germantown so I mostly drove out there to avoid the inner city in my free time from learning to be a lab tech. Dude sold stereo equipment all his life and evidently loves dogs. He bought me a golden retriever named Brandy who died of heartworms because I didn't know to treat her. She had one litter of beautiful red pups who earned me a lot of money and were my best friends. Butch moved here from Chicago with his mom and stepdad and sisters. We spent a lot of time on the banks of the Mighty Mississippi drinking wine and eating cheese back before it was all polluted and such. A lot of toxic shit has happened between then and now. For some odd reason, he became Jewish during the time he was cutting me loose from that teenage girl crush. Mama always said she gave him credit for getting me through college because I wouldn't have lasted anytime without some stress relief from the 10th floor of Randolph. He and Glen lived in an apartment in Frayser for awhile and they were the perfect storm of intellectual genius. We watched SNL together when it was new and Saturdays went on forever. I will always give him props for being a gentleman and a poet.

Mama called the drug store today and asked them to straighten out her medicine because she doesn't know what's up and neither do I. Meanwhile Lorna's mom is fighting for her life due to influenza (A) and being elderly plus a colostomy problem. Let's all hope and pray that there will be a swift admission and some peace for all involved especially she and Ann. Getting old is not for sissies if you know what I mean.

It's James Taylor and double sonic value cheeseburger time on the lane. Y'all keep on believing ^j^





No comments:

Post a Comment