Saturday, January 10, 2015

long winter's nap

Well here I sit 16 hours later with a long snooze under my belt. Me and the dogs went down about 8 and didn't even roll over until dawn. They always have to go potty and explore about that time but we managed to all cuddle back up for an hour or two more. BG is at work and I have the place to myself. The quiet is a luxury because a lot of hours of my day are filled with a lot of background noise like instrument fans and whatnot. Multiple phone lines ring constantly with all sorts of requests for information or questions about specimen collection. There is an automated phone system now so that screens a lot of random questions from people who think "why not call the lab!!" They know everything !!!! There are centrifuges running 24/7 spinning down blood specimens for testing and about ten pieces of equipment in various stages of maintenance and sample testing mode. To an outsider it looks like monkeys doing it which is what Dr. P said would happen to the lab one day. I think not dear. Even high tech machines have to be overseen by people with training.
Part of my job involves supervision of the transfusion service. I'm spoiled to having as much blood as we need for our patients thanks to the regional community blood center in Jackson. Their staff is top notch in all areas including distribution and reference testing. The new center features extra room for pheresis donors who are the ones who go and sit forever with needles in both arms. Now run on out to the mobile unit next time it's around and be thankful for just one needle. Tell 'em Poopie sent you.

There are actually recognizable piles of items in this office and that makes me happy. They may sit here for another six months but at least I'm making progress! An office is a workspace and that is exactly what this room is for me. There is no tablet and my phone is too little so it's me and the Dell when writing. I'm a keyboard person so touch screen is a lot for to deal with. It'll be a learning curve if I ever can afford one. The birds are happy outside my windows because it's not as cold and they have plenty to eat. The hundred year old pecan trees out front are backsplashed with a bright blue and cloudless sky. Why is it that I figure an ice storm of EPIC proportions is in my near future? Because that would be my luck, with no door handles.

Days like these are when I have the luxury to stretch and do chair yoga while piddling around. And so? That shall commence. Y'all have a good weekend and keep the faith ^j^



No comments:

Post a Comment