Friday, January 30, 2015

pure ramble

Well thank my lucky stars and pass the MichU because it's Friday afternoon and I have two days off to restclean house and do laundry. I know..y'all so wish you were me and Mahala since we know all the ins and outs of making it 'til payday in an effed up US of America land that we love. I'm mighty glad to not have to listen to Mittens for the next year or so but Scott Walker and Paul Ryan scare the shit out of me so I guess that leaves Fat Bastard and Rand. If Haslam had the money (and he does, I've been told) he could get up in that race too since he's all loving Medicaid expansion now and Lord knows they're all in a twit over it. Our state has a smattering of Dems and zero independents making decisions about healthcare for one of the poorest states in the nation which is home to the top two for-profit healthcare corporations in our country. You do the math.

In honor of Rodney P. Williams, LCSW I just have to say "here's the thing...." I began my career in a hospital before HIV was even discovered to be rampant in our population. The blood supply was at risk and nobody knew it until several high profile people died from transfusions like tennis pro Arthur Ash. HepC was known as "nonA,nonB" and turned out to be the big one liverwise. The lookback process for all that when testing began was a nightmare for all involved. After that came NAT and you can be sure now that blood is as safe as it can be when it's being processed for the right reasons. Take the Red Cross, for instance. This national organization which does a kickass job with disaster relief and recovery somewhere along the line decided that bigger is better and attempts to drive community blood centers out of the market when, in fact, the locals are the ones saving lives by being 30 minutes away and not in NashVegas or Memphis. As long as I live the staff at Lifeline Blood Services in Jackson will be my heroes. That means you too Joe.

The snowdrops are up and cute as hell and the buttercups outside our bathroom window have buds so there's that to be grateful for! Plus...no blizzard. And got some propane left. Plus celebratory things for the celebration that is about to begin. Whenever I get all disgusted with the state of things I remember the code that all healthcare peeps should live by. Do no harm..at least not intentionally or for greed. Fingerstick glucose monitoring and a focus on healthy nutrition could solve half the burden on the entire system.

Believe ^j^



No comments:

Post a Comment