Sunday, January 25, 2015

the hallelujah chorus

That is what I am silently singing today after hooking my mama up with her new best friend who loves to read and is a United Methodist to boot. Plus she knows old people and appreciates that they just want someone to listen and care. Lest ye think that home care delivery is fractured, let me point out that the provider that serves them has provided excellent service via Regional Home Care. Lori and I have worked together for years serving the sick and elderly in our local cluster of "call centers." She is in good enough physical shape to help Mom and has the training. I'm down with that, if you know what I mean. Daddy called after passing her in the door to see if I'm off next Sunday. I did so miss my cheesy hashbrowns today but got the garbage hauled.

I was in a firebug kind of mood yesterday and all the fields are wet and planted in wheat so it seemed the perfect time to burn off the asparagus half the yard like in old times. I know from experience it will stop when it hits the asphalt. BG got all scared that I would burn the house down and hooked up the water hose which was still running this morning. I did mess with the gods a bit and burned some books that have been riding under my seat for a year thus the spread of said grass fire. It was fun watching it burn out from my bed with dogs and stuff to keep warm. Kind of a redneck pyrotechnic display.

Speaking of which, you know how we all have those recurring dreams that start in childhood or just kind of stick with you until they become reality? If not, just bear with me. I dreamed a lot of times that I was taking a bath in a porcelain tub as the log cabin burned around me but I wasn't scared. Another favorite was about the Lee place where there was an ancient long gone barn and an imaginary house that I dreamed had three stories of treasure just waiting to be picked. There were gilt edged china pieces stacked willy nilly wrapped in vintage 1940s faded pieces of cloth. I remember climbing to the third floor after much effort and catching a view of the Forked Deer river that runs just beside. There was a big levee there at the time, but I'm no so sure now. Time has passed and dreams have faded.

The Bizzle family was rooted out here as well as Gerald Brandon and the entire Son Johnson clan. Mr. Quinn had strawberry fields that people would drive for and I can guarantee you that back then it was organic and labor intensive. Manual's house sat back next to the river right off Samaria Bend and history tells about a bar back there named Cotton's. Well, actually a bootlegger's place, truth be told. My ex husband's father was killed there, as a matter of fact. Back when I was writing a "book" instead of a blog, I did a fictional piece about that den of sin hidden in a cotton patch.

Boogs is here and about to nap with Toy Story and TT. Not sure what's on my agenda except for turning up the heat a bit. Keep the faith~



No comments:

Post a Comment