Sunday, October 14, 2018

take a walk on the wild side

That was the official song of the Dyersburg High School Class of 1973.  Over 45 years of reunions we have listened to it many times.  Yesterday afternoon we got together on a chilly damp afternoon to celebrate us.  Patsye had a list of the deceased next to a candle and I was humbled to see that many names in black and white.  Out of a class of about 250 there are over 60 gone.  The party started about four which is a good thing because we're old and Everybody can't hang plus we beat the worst of the rain.  Larry and Patsye and I made it until 1AM cleaning up and we all slept like the dead, including Sally who was the definitive party animal. 

I saw people that I see all the time and some that I've not seen in years.  We are a really diverse group that grew up in the Watergate and Vietnam era.  We are the boomers.  The crowd was small but then it was a betweener so there ya' go.  Patsye is the perfect hostess with the mostest so all I did was take direction from her as we cooked.  It was fun, laid back and a great time for everybody.  We are who we are and there is no pretense anymore.  Chucky is our official DJ the high tech way.  He used to do it as a side gig but has kind of cut it back to a few weddings and stuff.  Everybody contributed and that's what makes it so cool.  

My dear friend Mary Gwyn made it and we haven't seen each in years.  We were mighty tight back in the day.  Our mothers worked together at The Dyersburg Mirror for years. She has an RV in Tallahassee so that will probably be my next beach destination.  No damage it just got moved a few inches by Michael.  

I don't know what's going on the real world at this point and I may just leave it that way besides watching SNL.  The Vols beat Auburn which was impressive.  I don't really keep up but I know they got a few whoopings there at first.   Gold old Rocky Top.

Gratitude ~

No comments:

Post a Comment