Tuesday, August 14, 2012

*peace*love*cure*

One of my favorite tees is one that says just that on the front, in support of breast cancer awareness and early detection via mammography. I have one every year because I figure it's one health issue that's preventable and mostly paid for by insurance if I shop my local providers. One of the advantages to working in a medical center is that everybody's close by except for the dentist. I saw my favorite surgeon the other day headed to his truck wearing shorts, tennis shoes and a white doctor coat. Love it. When I was a young healthcare provider during the growth boom there was very little oversight other than state and national regulatory agencies which made regular inspections known as surveys. Medicare was flying high and everybody couldn't wait to retire on their hard earned benefits, which were guaranteed by the US government.

Things started crashing then, and the generation that includes my parents lost a shitload of invested money during the crash of the eighties. By then I was headed down the rosy tunnel toward the great american dream with 1.1 children and a lifetime of work and devotion to the almighty dollar. During our heated political discussions yesterday and today the fact that "everybody makes money off of somebody" came up and I was at first shocked because I never thought of it that way. It's going to be an interesting election year at the sawmill is all I can say.

Things are significantly cooler here, thank you Big Ernie! My last utility bill was almost as much as the rent, but we stayed cool during the biggest global warmup that's happened in a long time. I got an email from a friend about the level of the Mighty Mississippi right now and it's just historical the way the floods and droughts interconnect and cause domestic disruption. I heard my last boyfriend is living with yet another girl which is pretty predictable. He's so cheap he won't put out the money to make a home for himself. Probably gypsy blood.

As my mama would say I got "sprunty" yesterday and hopped up on Ethel's old dining room chair to change a light bulb. Just like my bossfriend I found my old ass tumbling onto the hardwood and landed on the bad knee. I think I was kinda' dauntcy today from the shock of impact. Dauntcy is a term that the little general's mama June used to say meaning stunned and light headed. My heart is with her the fam every day while they make their way through Big J's recovery.

Here's my deal as a voter in the current presidential election. I have a very deep sense of disappointment in the turns that our country took while Dubya was in office. That election resulted in a 10 year war that cannot be won and a media led return to the olden days when personal choice becomes a distant memory because the sheeple believe that guns are good and drugs are bad..ummkay? Foreign policy should include not messing in ANYBODY'S civil war as a peacekeeper other than in a support position via food and medicine. This country doesn't need the $$ bad enough to sell arms like the Russians do. No normal citizen has a guaranteed right to an assault weapon purchased legally. Too many people have gone nuts and decided to take the world down with them. I'd rather not die that way. I agree that federal money should not be used for performing abortions because heaven FORBID somebody might offend the personal religious views of conservatives. But pulling federal monies from the preventive health programs is pure foolishness. Just wait until Ebola gets up over in here and the infrastructure cracks.

Here's to all of us in the world of healthcare today as the AMA and FDA have decided to make a move (finally) and get rid of a ridiculous core measure that was implemented this year and resulted in negative outcomes for patients. My cynical side believes that the manufacturers of the alternative were in the bed with somebody who had a lobbyist who pushed that through. We had pizza to celebrate!

Over and out from the lane. Love ya...mean it ^j^




No comments:

Post a Comment