Wednesday, September 8, 2021

on the eve of 66

I seriously don't know how this happened y'all.  In my mind I'm still 17 with my whole life ahead of me.  I guess it just creeps up on you when you ain't looking.  One thing about getting older that I appreciate is that I treasure the little things more than ever.  Lunch with friends.  A facial wax by Ponder with Chucky laughing in the background.  Hugging Lauren and holding Reaves' hand before we cross the road to the mailbox.  Sparkly little fairies off the deck at paradise.  These are the things that matter.

My brother says that a birthday is "just another day."  I remember seeing him sick as a dog on his 4th or 5th birthday in front of the fireplace and going to the hospital in the snow.  Once upon a time another brother fell out of a tree and then landed head first on asphalt from his bike.  I will never forget the wailing that I heard in the background when I talked with mama from Memphis.  

We all turned out differently, as siblings will.  I never had a sister but I have girl cousins who are like my own.  And so it goes.  My blessings have been abundant of late and for that I am thankful.  It makes an old girl kind of humble and proud at the same time to be loved that much ^j^  

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Janie. It does literally feel like the blink of the eye. Glad you are so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Week! Mother always said she still felt like a teenager. I guess we all do! Hope you have a continued great week!

    ReplyDelete