Monday, September 6, 2021

labor day

Time to pack up the seersucker and white shoes kids.  The weather has moderated finally and we got two inches of rain over the weekend.  It will still be November before the corn is gone but that's okay.  It got a late start.

This is my birthday week and the girls came on Saturday bearing gifts including those blowie party things which Reaves insisted on.  She sang the whole HB song to me by herself!  They both have September birthdays one day apart so there will be more celebration around the 21st/22nd.  Reaves was born one hour before Lauren turned 33.  We are a Virgo bunch for sure.  I also share the same birthday with my daughter by another mother, Kimowasi.  

The Dyer County Fair begins today after a year off for COVID.  Honestly, I haven't been to the fair except to work a booth since Lauren was old enough to go on her own.  My parents were fair veterans with Daddy being a former director and on the board for his lifetime.  Many of my childhood memories center around being out there are the old fairgrounds with them.  Daddy would come in late every night after counting the money from the gates.  I worked those very gates for several years while in high school and college.  

The leaves are beginning to fall from the Poplar tree out front, always the first since the cottonwood is gone.  It finally went down and the little hackberry sprig that was growing up next to it is now huge and covered with ivy.  It is bittersweet to be here now as an almost 66 year old who was raised up in this house.  I left for college in 1975 and Tommy immediately claimed my room because he had the little cubby hole that ended up being storage  Now all those bedroom walls are gone and studs are in place.  

If you are working on Labor Day, remember that you are being honored by the rest of us who aren't.  ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment