Wednesday, June 27, 2018

civil discourse

As defined by Wiki it is engagement in conversation to promote understanding.  This does not include trolling people's FB pages and picking fights.  When you start the name calling, you've lost me and have, in fact, crossed the line of civility.  People of all political persuasions do it, and I'm not defending one party as being better than the other when it comes to this matter.  If you agree to disagree with me I love you like chicken.  We can have adult conversations about issues and policy.  It's very hard to discuss things like religion or politics because everybody insists on being right.  

I do not like Trump as POTUS nor did I like him on The Apprentice.  It is my right to believe that way.  Nothing you can say or do will help me see any redeeming value in what he has done since taking office, especially the musical chairs game with staff.  Would HRC have been any better?  We'll never know.  All I know is that the changing cast of characters up there is very unsettling for a country that seems at a loss for how to stop the madness.  The ONLY way, is to vote.  Even though there was collusion involved in the last presidential election, it was exposed and I don't believe it happens that much at the state level.  Consider the stunning upset in New York where a twenty something progressive beat an incumbent.  Grass roots is what's up kids.  This chick was literally a nobody and managed to beat the odds.  That's what happens when you care enough to listen to the candidate and vote with your sense of moral responsibility.  And  BTW, the incumbent conceded to her with congratulations!  That's civil discourse.

Which brings me to the local scene and how dirty it can get even at that level.  There is a race going with an incumbent who is actually calling people who have her competition's signs in their yards asking "What did I ever do to you?"  If it were me I'd be campaigning on "what can I do FOR you?" which is precisely what her opposition is doing.  

I don't play politics well because I'm very naive about the inner workings of the good old boy system.  I just do what I think is good and right for our community, state and country.  

My one stargazer lily has finally bloomed after I cut off the branches that were hiding it from the sun.  I have two in the kitchen that I can smell from here.  It's the little things that make me happy.

^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment