Thursday, February 22, 2018

the luxury of time

I started to work as a lifeguard at the Moose Pool when I was in my mid-teens thanks to my mother's connections to the lodge governor. We made 50 cents an hour for years on end and not only sat in the stand but babysat a bunch of kids who got dropped off and served them snacks from the little shack at the entrance where we took money or checked passes.  Somebody called the labor board on them for underpaying us and we all got a big chunk of settlement on back pay.  I worked that job until I graduated from high school and started at DSCC.  I also worked at Acred shoe store and babysat for one of my favorite teachers during college.  After two years there I headed to ( what was then ) Memphis State and the UT Center for Health Sciences where I graduated in 1977.  Within two months I had a job that I kept for 40 years and some change.  I owned a house, sold it and moved to the country to raise 4 year old Lauren.  I took call for about 10 years after I started at the hospital.  

I am just now recovering from the hours on end of sleep deprivation and just plain old fatigue from living that life and putting myself last.  To those who are younger with me and have kids and a life outside of work I say keep those priorities because that's where the good stuff happens.  As I wrap my mind around the future I have time to explore what makes me happy and go for it.  Before you know it I'll have hobbies again!

I ran into Mamye at the chicken store  and she was relieved to see me not trapped by floodwater.  As I drove down through David Lee's driveway I noticed that the river is almost up to the Hideaway.  The foundation crew is hard at work and I drove down and did a walk through of a home that I had never been in.  It's gonna be do die for gorgeous.   Congrats Lesli and fam!  Of course the river is all over the flats behind Mozella and thems' houses.  The crest of the North Fork is today but there's more rain on the way.  There are buds of all kinds in my yard just waiting to burst forth in bloom.  I can't freakin' WAIT!!

Chillax ~



1 comment: