Friday, February 9, 2018

second opinion

I was referred by the doctor who did my unsuccessful rotator cuff surgery to his partner in Jackson who is the shoulder guru.  I expected to hear him say "let's go" with the reverse replacement but uh. Nope.  According to him because of the implant I would lose more of what mobility I have.  There was an option B which is something called a superior capsular reconstruction that has had no papers published on it and a 50/50 chance of success.  It involves implant of cadaver tissue to close the gap where the rotator cuff ends don't meet.  And also he's never done it.  Hmm.  He said it's like a "procedure looking for a patient" and that my case is unusual because my mobility is pretty fair, just painful.  The recovery is 6-9 months in which my tissue grows around the cadaver bridge, etc.  So if the pain gets bad enough that I can't stand it, I can lose some mobility and go for replacement for pain relief. In his own words, "your rotator cuff is a mess."  Ayep.  

It's been two months since I got up before the sun and it was pretty strange.  Regina has a very nice car and she went shopping while I was being seen.  She had her route all mapped out until we were met by a barrier around construction on the surgery center next door so I hoofed it over the plywood to where I was going.  So, I'm kind of right back where I started.  Neither of the surgical options sound good.  

That's all I got for now.  The girls are coming for a short visit this afternoon so there's that to look forward to.  Baby Reaves is getting to be such a BIG girl.  

Later ~

No comments:

Post a Comment