Thursday, March 19, 2015

the big tease

Breaking new alert: It's still winter until the solar eclipse but we are definitely closer to an end to frost damage. I only wish how I could explain how my body aches to just grow something...anything! I have never had the sticktoitness to see a successful crop in my life because I always think of it as the work that my daddy put into his. We ate well for many years off the fruits of his labor. I remembered this afternoon how my brother and his wife gave a kid an FFA jacket for daddy's gift one Christmas. Everything I know and love about agriculture has been learned in a bi-polar kind of way living in the land of traditional row cropping via Monsanto vs organic. Drift from the spray just about killed my flowers and trees last year. On a hill, remember? That shit hangs in the air like radon. Anyway I may have to cover the straw garden with some bubble wrap or something. It.Will.Happen.

BG is working a lot of nights and I'm up with the chickens so we're not so sick of each other as before which is always good. She cooks and cleans and I sort of try to not feel 60 and Sugardaddyless. She drives that Cadillac to Four Points and scans her little heart out. We had a staff meeting yesterday which went well and gave me some extra time so I'm happy. Poor Brody and all the other spring break kids hung out and tried to get along. Grandma gave them the look and they settled right on down. Well, for awhile.

Mom is all a'twitter because at 84 and 82 they are without a doctor. Thank the Lord Dr. Algee is still practicing with his old time partner Dr. Haynes. When they go, I don't know what we'll all do. I saw something today about my mentor Dr. Noonan and missed him for the first time in a long time. Dude never stopped learning and teaching until the day he died, and I still wouldn't be surprised to see him round the corner with a copied journal article delivered personally. We were talking about MT school today at work which was right smack in the hotbed of 1970s healthcare in Memphis. City of Memphis Hospital. Baptist. Methodist. UT Medical Center. VA. Elvis autopsy, by gawd!

For the first time in forever I have messages and calls from people outside of "we need cat food" and other important things. And that makes me smile really big just when I need it. I had a long talk with an old friend today and was able to clear a lot of heavy stuff out of my soul. Never underestimate the power of someone having been there/done that with you at some point. It's good therapy, I don't care who you are. We spend so much time and energy pretending that bad things don't happen when indeed they do and whomever you were chosen to spend that time with is an act of Big Ernie at work in the cosmos. To me having faith means realizing that plus much more like helping those less fortunate. And old people and animals. I'm not talking entitlements, either...just something besides a handful of rich people who have made their fortunes off the backs of middle class America get OFF the bucks. You can't take it with you assholes!

The natives are restless all over and ISIS is busy terrorizing as usual. If these folks were true Muslims they would be looking for peace not trying to run the world. They are ex-pats of many different countries, including our own, who think they're playing a video game where somebody wins it all in the end. In truth, what will happen is total destruction of the whole deal unless somebody quits threatening the rest of the world. I just talked to the grands and they're on an outing with their driver to get hair did and buy khakis. Tippy will help Daddy with the shopping while mom is under the dryer. I'm in charge of meds and doctors and the dosage has been kicked up a bit for him which sounds like a plan to me. We had to jump through the hoops of that neuro consult just to get that. Their new doc is the one that found mom's carotid artery blockage. She got her neck slit BAD! She was overweight most of her life which is a family trait. I seem to have found my comfy weight where I can eat what I want and not gain. Finally!!! When I graduated from college I weighed what I weighed 9 months pregnant with BG.

It's my only day off so there's some serious piddling to be done. We're cooking a pork loin with sweet mustard sauce slow and low on a gray and rainy day. She's watching Cupcake Wars and I'm tapping on the keyboard. Ryder is out several times a day now but we still haven't seen the puppies. We got Pepper from that friend who lent me her ear, and he was the best ever until the next one(s) came along. We'll be looking for homes in about a month so if you see my number on your phone, help a girl out. And yes, there will be pictures.

Peace~





No comments:

Post a Comment