Thursday, August 15, 2013

remember who you are

I used to throw that phrase out every single time BG and her teenage friends walked out the door of our house off to who knows what kind of mischief. I got the usual few calls for help out of difficult type situations but all in all they managed to get through it without jail time and grow into really cool people. She thought I was terribly strict because there was accountability and my expectations were for her to make it to adulthood safely if I had anything to do with it. She didn't work except briefly as a carhop which was probably a mistake on our part. I worked from the age of 13 because I was expected to and so were my brothers. I was a lifeguard first, then baby sitter and shoe salesman for Mr. Acred. I was absolutely horrified that we had to work on Christmas eve getting ready for the big sale on December 26th. Little did I know I'd be working holidays for the rest of my life!

I stopped by to see the grands today and mama gave me something she had kept from 2002 that I wrote to them. There was a copy of Psalm 12 (the word of the lord is like silver) and a promise to tell them sometime about the significance of that psalm in my faith journey. I have to admit that I've totally forgotten but that's okay. In the letter I shared with them how I had become a believer thanks to their faith and determination to serve the least of these. Both of them went from full time employment to almost full time volunteer work after retirement. I spoke of how they had taught me that to use my gifts, musical or otherwise, is the greatest way we can express gratitude and humility for all the wonderful things we've been blessed with. And yes, I cried after I read it, but they didn't know it. It's hair day so she was getting her lipstick on for the ride and my brother and Ms Faye came in with bags of groceries to unload while daddy decided what he wanted for lunch. Just another day in their paradise.

Got another client on the way for a pickup so me and the dogs are hanging around the house chilling. BG is working a little bit extra today so she can add to our riches next week. It's hard, dirty work but she loves the crew and the work itself even though it doesn't pay much. Gotta start somewhere! I've joked forever about finding a sugardaddy and how I would be a lady of leisure, but truth be told I wouldn't be able to sit still even if I didn't have to work. I'm too antsy to just lay on my ass unless it's for an entire night of snooze. Everybody laughs about how I'll just get up and start wandering. Maybe I've got ADHD?

The weather is picture perfect and I'm loving the heck out of that. All those days of rain on end were like uh..DEPRESSING as shit. It's good picture takin' light when the sun is out and dappled all over the place.

Peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment