Thursday, November 1, 2012

you don't scare me

We rarely get trick or treaters this far off the beaten path so I was startled when the neighbor family came around all dressed up like aliens looking for candy. Of which we had none, by the way. Or bread or milk or anything to eat either. Seems as if we're constantly running to and fro and not getting much of anywhere except more tired. There are duties to be tended to, jobs to show up for and meetings and whatnot. There's always something up with the grands or the farmers or the horse. His good friend and her mama came by today to see both Pride and her plow boy in the waning rays of autumn on the lane. Everybody wants pecans and there's nothing...nada. We have two signs warning folks to not wander up in here and a pretty good sized enforcer as part of the household so I feel safe.

I've had one of those days. You know the kind where it all just seems too much so your mind wanders and you try to figure out what the hell to do to keep the boat floating? Yeah, that kind. Not nearly as miserable as those who were in the path of Sandy though. It is routine now for me to rob Peter to pay Paul. In this day and time one professional career isn't enough to keep an aging working gal in her comfort zone. And that is just sad ya'll. But it happens every day. If this storm didn't prove that big government can't be depended on I don't know what will. And what about the victims pissed off over the Red Cross response? Um hmm. I never did trust big government. Teach a man to fish, you know? And do it here at home, not over in some remote area over which we have no control. And for God's sake, leave the blood donation thing to community centers that have fewer tiers of waste and whatnot. Just saying because it's kind of my business. I remember on 9/11 and the days after how people rushed to New York hospitals to give blood and it was fruitless because everybody was dead. Blood is only good for a little over a month so a lot of it went into the trash. There is something about a tragedy that brings us all together, even if it's dragging each other out of a flooded house over to the dry spot.

Double R my ass. I am amazed at how the current administration has handled things from the "situation room." The longest was in American history is still being manned on our dime all over some nasty ass Arab oil. We should know better. I'm not nearly as green as I should be only because I'm old and tired but really? The current generation better have both a plan B and C. And maybe D. My buddy Clint is the son of one of my old friends and we are so politically alike that he keeps me believing that good will prevail. Smart guy too. His dad is a photographer and one of the folks who have mentored me as I attempt to shoot something besides Pecan Lane. I mean, it only goes so far until the story line must change.

I'll keep ya' posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment