Saturday, November 10, 2012

all things considered

We are still in awe that Faith is up and moving around considering she damn near died last week from a raging infection. She's still on antibiotics and feeling her oats with lots of steroids so it's good for the moment. If may take that for the rest of her life and if it does, so be it. They're cheap. It's like heaven hearing her slow clicking gait on the wood. It's time to take the catheter our of her paw so it's a good thing I'm kinda used to that stuff. The day before Butterbean was put to sleep Cassie Rae met us out front in the car and stuck her paw like a champ. Her labs were all normal, but her back was fractured. That was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do because she wasn't in pain or suffering...still just looking at me all like Butters. You may recall that we RAN OVER SammyD on the way to have her put to sleep so I had to stay home looking for him while she went on alone. We got her buried that night about nineish, complete with new pink collar and Eva Cassidy on the CD player, our job at hand backlit by the front beams of the ancient Camry.

My daddy has always had dogs but he's one of those "they don't come in the house" kinda dudes who wants to put 'em in a pen and play when he's in the mood. That's why so many of his have had tragic endings to their canine lives. A dog that is always confined will always bolt when given the chance. Heck, I would too! It's so funny watching the second generation of Faith sleeping next to her, mother and daughter enjoying each others' quiet company. They nuzzle and sigh and generally love every minute of it.

It's Indian summer here, with a cold front in line to move through shortly. For the first time in my life, I'm not looking forward to cold weather because we got lucky last winter with the little bit of propane there was. Usually the cold invigorates my hot natured self and the breathing is soooooooo much easier in winter when allergens are not so pungent. My mowable yard will be reduced by a few hundred feet to move the crops up closer but that's okay because what used to be a joy (mowing) is now a chore. I'm thinking we'll keep going until it's a zero lot line kind of deal. There is one old house yet to come down, waiting for us to finish removing our family's history before it's bulldozed. We call it the Bizzle house, a place I've spent many an afternoon digging up buttercups or crawling through the ancient rooms looking at history.

Mama'n'them are doing alright I reckon, on their own for the weekend while I'm at the sawmill. Daddy, bless his heart, tries to keep his nose all up in mom's meds worrying that she'll have some for the "nighttime" when he gets ready to call it a day. He doesn't even open the little windows to see if there is some there...just sees some empty ones and gives me a friendly reminder. And he always says thank you! He's got his rides all lined up for tomorrow which usually starts a week in advance. Her trip got cancelled because one of the elderly drivers on that mission ended up in the hospital which kind of is a relief..I mean, I'm sorry she's sick but it just didn't sound too safe to this old gal. Blessing in disguise, if you know what I mean.

My brother gave me a book one time called "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" knowing that like him, I'm a deep thinker and tend to go off on a woe is me tangent when what I need to do is shut up, trust Big Ernie and let go of the whole deal. The future is not within my power to control, only the present moment. That sure is a good feeling to have when one is used to running the whole world ;)

Love ya....mean it ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment