Wednesday, November 21, 2012

thankful tidings on black thursday eve!

I seriously cannot wait to set up the nativity that I inherited from my family. Gaga was a ceramics freak and made everything from ashtrays to wise men. She was all about the fun and games. Couldn't cook work a damn because her family always had hired help for that. Lord have mercy ya'll...the tales I could tell. My great granny Ethel lived on Pate street right across the pavement from the beauty shop and my paternal grandma. Her ancient white car with the red top is buried somewhere on this farm. Probably lots of other things too.

One of my most vivid memories of living here is of a Sunday afternoon that BG and a couple of her church buddies went with me for a walk over in the woods where all the cows went to die. There were rotting bones every freakin' where and we picked some up for show and tell at school the next day. Oh yeah..party mom, that's me. Meanwhile, here I sit on an outdated Dell with no couch and barely a bed and yet I still feel grateful? You bet I do. My parents are alive and mostly well and every moment with them is considered possibly the last. I'm proud of daddy for not acting up while we cooked today and made noise today. As it turned out our ride back up the hill was detained by heavy traffic so their neighbor gave us a lift. Hey..it's how we roll. This is the very man who rode with his mama and sister in the country truck with us in the back trying to get back to higher ground during the big Forked Deer flood. My landlord, bless his heart, gave us free rent for that month.

I ran into a couple of old friends at the sawmill today, the ones that used to be a part of my church related escapades with healthcare. He was the very best runner of the show that I've witnessed in a 35 year tenure. Nice guy with great leadership skills who has a very long road ahead of him. His wife is also a nurse and I can say for a fact that I don't have what it takes to do that total care thing. Give me a scope and a rack of test tubes and it's all good. The whole drama started when our county government found out the hard way that healthcare ain't free and the cost is always going up. That's when my corporate sponsor showed up to save all our lives with their inefficient use of resources in an attempt to funnel patients to the metro Shelby market. Methodist Healthcare paid 18M over market price and even Baptist stood back and said "no deal." The guy who was responsible for that little deal is long retired on some tropical island with eight virgins or something equally gross.

My favorite Thanksgiving memory is of the time that my high school friend Debbie came all the way from Texas to spend a week with us. We went to see RENT at the movie during that time and Seasons of Love has become a tradition with me. I'm toying with the idea of putting up the fake tree.

Ya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment