Sunday, November 18, 2012

a mission of thanks

I'm off this weekend so it was load 'em all up and eat eggs and doughnuts day at the usual spot. BG joined us which is a huge help and we did daddy's birthday shopping for mom before dropping them off at home and going back to the store for Thanksgiving dinner groceries and her prescription. We'll be cooking like demons when I get off on Wednesday, all for a meal that will last about 30 minutes tops. But still, there are some traditions that must be carried on. Mom is all bummed because we're taking care of the food prep (like she could if she wanted to) but I've convinced her to let us do the work while she just supervises from her perch on the chair. We passed more than one house lit up for Christmas today and I thought about pulling the old fake tree out of the corner, but not yet. I'm still hoping for a cut one.

Of my entire 57 year life, this has been one of the toughest ones to date both financially and emotionally. Physically, I'm in better shape because I've been in years, pushing myself up and down steps to haul stuff out for sorting. Paying attention to a healthy diet is not always easy on limited funds but we try. We made an executive decision to eliminate dessert for T'giving because nobody ever has room for it anyways. A little chocolate bar will do just as well.

It is unseasonably warm which I'm loving to pieces because it gets mighty cold up here on the hill when the northwest winds blows . I remember one very extreme winter when the temps were below freezing for about two weeks and my hubby forgot to keep the faucets dripping. We had no water for a week! Everyone has some sort of point where you just say to hell with it..I'm living my life for me. It's a gift and I'll be damned if I'm going to waste it on people who don't care. I feel so badly for those who were affected by Sandy and Katrina because we've had similar experiences here in Tennessee. It's all according to where you call home. I think I will always cherish this last chance at pulling together the history of our farm. Never have owned it, but always tried to defend and record like a good historian. Some day somebody's grandkids might want to know.

There aren't many leaves left but the ones that are seem to be on fire with color. Ya'll excuse me while I wander around a bit with the Count's Leica. Eternal thanks to my "precious" friend for making sure I got it back ^j^



^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment