Saturday, September 29, 2018

what if

Imagine if you will that you are a minor ( or not ) male or female who has been sexually assaulted.  I've heard hundreds of testimonies from those who were. Rape is an act of violence of the worst sort.  Most victims carry that shame with them for a long time before coming out to someone with the truth about what really happened.  They feel somehow that they are responsible for what happened and are eaten alive with shame.  They carry the stigma around like a lead weight. It takes pretty intensive therapy to work through something like that.  
So much ado is being made about Kavanaugh's nomination because of the allegations made against him.  I am astounded at the number of people who feel like " if you tell it now, it doesn't count."  I would say that now the the perfect time considering the responsibility for decision making at that court's level.  My boy Trae Crowder summed it up perfectly in his latest video, comparing the whole circus to when UT offered a coaching position to one of Jerry Sandusky's alleged accomplices.  They withdrew it when the dirt came out after Vol Nation raised nine kinds of hell over the allegations against him.  Why are people treating this situation differently?  

Patsye and Sally and I spent a couple of lovely hours on her porch addressing class reunion invitations.  They were a last minute thing and we're still scrounging for some addresses. We made phone calls and sent messages trying to round up the last few unknowns.  Many have died since the list was compiled five years ago.  I don't think I'll ever get over losing my buddy Spike.  I wish I could have one of our long conversations again. They weren't often but always like no time had passed.  I talked to another old friend Mike Lutrell this morning and gave him a heads up.  His wife Debbie is a class member too.  

Before heading to Finley I made a swing by the house to see if the back steps were finished and indeed they are.  They are so much more knee friendly that the ones up here!  Finally we have cooler weather to make it easier to get out and enjoy the day.  Seize it...always.  

Forgiveness ~

No comments:

Post a Comment